CURRENT JOB OPENINGS with Montgomery County
Minimum requirements for sworn positions:
- Must meet all of the requirements stated in the VA Code 15.2-1705.
- Citizen of the United States
- Undergo a background investigation, including fingerprinting-based criminal history records inquiries to both the Central Criminal Records Exchange and the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
- High school education or passed the General Educational Development Exam
- Possess a valid Virginia operator's license or be able to obtain a valid Virginia operator's license within 30 days of employment
- Good health and physical condition. Must pass a physical examination subsequent to offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician.
- Older than 18 years of age, generally, not less than 21 years of age for law enforcement assignments
- Good moral character and reputation
- Have eyesight corrected to 20/20 and normal hearing
- Good credit rating
Prior to employment, an extensive background investigation will be conducted. All applicants may be requested to pass a written practical aptitude test and psychological examination by a licensed psychiatrist. Applicants for all sworn positions
will be required to successfully complete a physical fitness test consisting of: one mile timed run not to exceed 11 minutes, a minimum of 15 full military regulation pushups without rest, a minimum of 25 sit ups in one minute, and ability to hold your
weight at eye level on a pull-up bar for a time no less than 10 seconds. Appointments of the best-qualified applicants will be made solely at the discretion of the Sheriff.
Individuals meeting the minimum requirements are invited to complete
and submit the following documents:
Individuals meeting the minimum qualifications for law enforcement or jailer positions are invited to complete and submit the required applications. All applications are kept on file for one year.
Employment forms may be picked
up at the Sheriff's Office front desk, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Applications are also available for download via the link above. For more information on employment at the Sheriff's Office, please call 540-382-6915 ext. 44407.