CURRENT JOB OPENINGS with Montgomery County
Minimum requirements for sworn positions:
- Must meet all of the requirements stated in the VA Code 15.2-1705.
- Citizen of the United States
- Undergo a background investigation, including fingerprinting-based criminal history records inquiries to both the Central Criminal Records Exchange and the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
- High school education or passed the General Educational Development Exam
- Possess a valid Virginia operator's license or be able to obtain a valid Virginia operator's license within 30 days of employment
- Good health and physical condition. Must pass a physical examination subsequent to offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician.
- Older than 18 years of age, generally, not less than 21 years of age for law enforcement assignments
- Good moral character and reputation
- Have eyesight corrected to 20/20 and normal hearing
- Good credit rating
Prior to employment, an extensive background investigation will be conducted. All applicants may be requested to pass a written practical aptitude test and psychological examination by a licensed psychiatrist. Applicants for all sworn positions
will be required to successfully complete a physical fitness test consisting of a one-and-a-half-mile timed run not to exceed 20 minutes. Appointments of the best-qualified applicants will be made solely at the discretion of the Sheriff.
Individuals meeting the minimum requirements are invited to complete
and submit the employment application
. For more information on employment at the Sheriff's Office, please call 540-382-6915 ext. 44407.